Wednesday, November 19, 2014

PICK-N-MIX #8: Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca


"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again"





I have picked Daphne du Maurier's enduring Gothic novel Rebecca for my book choice. First published 1938, it has never gone out of print. 

Rebecca has been adapted to film and screen. The most famous of these is Alfred Hitchcock's 1940 version, staring Dames Judith Anderson (Mrs. Danvers), Sir Laurence Olivier (Max de Winter), and Joan Fontaine (the unnamed heroin). And of course Manderley, the fictional estate of the de Winters, is a big star in the story also. 

I am thinking that the fictional Manderley is somewhere on the British coast (maybe somewhere in Cornwall?). 

The Mani Breakdown 

I first painted the upper part of my nails with Marina. With a small brush and acrylic paints, I free handed Manderley and then sealed it with a top coat. 

Next I used the Ionic Indigo. I had never used a magnetic polish before. This was fun and automatically set up a wave design. Finally with a nail brush, I painted Blackberry and white acrylic paint in various places to help create the stormy sea. 



The background sky: Marina by  Forever 21

Manderly: acrylic paint-various colors-it took three
                  colors just to get the windows the right 
                   yellow

The sea: Sally Hansen's 990 Ionic Indigo, Barry 
                    M's Blackberry and white acrylic paint

Top coat: Cult Nails Wicked Fast





My Rebecca is from the 40's. There was a cloth shortage because of WW2, so it is actually a paper hardback. 


I own two Rebecca movies, the original Hitchcock and the 1997 BBC version staring Charles Dance, Emilia Fox and Diana Rigg.


Movie pics of the book


Lawrence Olivier and Joan Fontaine
Judith Anderson and Joan Fontaine
Diana Rigg, Charles Dance and Emilia Fox





Well, that ties up this post. And as always, until we see each other again, take care ........................



5 comments:

  1. Aww, love this mani and its inspiration. I should have a check, you've made me curious about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If nothing else, watch one of the movies. And look how many blues I got use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. blue is definitely one of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pretty proud of this one, I must say.

    ReplyDelete